17 December 2014

I Want To Be Like Pep Guardiola - Xavi

Xavi has revealed he one day hopes to follow in the footsteps of Pep Guardiola and make the transition from Barcelona midfielder to club coach. The 34-year-old replaced the now Bayern Munich boss in the Barca engine room when he made the break through at Camp Nou back in the late nineties.

With his playing career coming to an end, Xavi has now turned his thoughts to what he might do once he has hung up his boots for good, and thoughts of management are already at the forefront of his mind.


Asked whether one day the club may be referred to as 'Xavi's Barca' in the same manner as Guardiola he answered: "Hopefully. I want to remain in this house in whatever capacity that is.

"I have little football left, it is clear. I can feel it in my body, I find it harder to recover, I meter out my effort, I don’t have the spark to play every three days. I can feel it.”

The former Spain international, who retired from international football following la Roja's disastrous World Cup campaign over the summer, then tipped three current team-mates to replace him once his career is over.

He added: "If you look at Barça, there are those who can make a career for 10 years: [Sergio] Busquets, Sergi Samper, [Andres] Iniesta, Rafinha.

"It would be difficult for Thiago [Alcantara] to make a comeback. It is always difficult returning after you have left the club. But there is an extraordinary level and if you look at the Spanish national team, the quality has grown to an incredible level."

Xavi also explained how Real Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas called him during Jose Mourinho's tenure in charge of the club, when relations between Barca and their Bernabeu rivals were at an all-time low.

"We let everything come out. We both felt we were giving a very bad image and it was causing embarrassment. We agreed to talk to our team-mates and try to calm things down. It was a very weak image for world football, there are children watching across the globe."

He came close to leaving the club for new MLS franchise New York City in the summer but said the intervention of new Barca coach Luis Enrique convinced him to stay.

"I was very close to leaving for America. Luis convinced me to stay, though. He told me if I was deserving of a place in the team, I would play. He was honest with him, as he's always been."

Xavi has made 17 appearances for the club in all competitions so far this season, in what is his 17th season as a professional at Camp Nou.

No comments: