10 May 2015

I Will Miss Steven Gerrard - Jose Mourinho

Jose Mourinho says he will "miss" Steven Gerrard when the Liverpool captain leave the Premier League at the end of the season. Gerrard cancelled out John Terry's fifth-minute opener to secure his side a share of the spoils at Stamford Bridge on Sunday, but the 1-1 draw effectively ended Liverpool's Champions League qualification hopes.

Mourinho had described Gerrard as his "dear enemy" in the lead up to the game, revealing he had tried to sign him for Chelsea, Inter and Real Madrid before praising him again after Sunday's game.


"I will miss him, yes," Mourinho told Sky Sports. I want my league to be always the best league. I want my league to have always the best players.

"I saw the end of amazing players and I was always hurt by that. Luis Figo played his last game with me with Inter, Steven is leaving, Frank Lampard is leaving ... [Jamie] Carragher also a fantastic enemy, he left last season.

"This is Mother Nature: You can't stop it but you can get great memories of great opponents."

Gerrard received a standing ovation from both sets of fans when subsituted, with the midfielder disregarding the Chelsea supporters after the game but Mourinho insists it was a special moment.

Mourinho added: "I think Stamford Bridge was fantastic because the negative song is the song that shows exactly [what] that 'dear enemy' concept means.

"In the end, to get an ovation at Stamford Bridge I think is special for him and I think it shows exactly what I'm saying. We have a lot of respect for the top guys."

No comments: