16 April 2015

I Captain Manchester United In My Own Way - Wayne Rooney

Wayne Rooney is taking inspiration from past Manchester United leaders but insists he must captain the team his "own way". The striker has led the charge as United have won six on the bounce in the Premier League to rise to third, with Daley Blind hailing his team talk before beating champions Manchester City.

Rooney says he has studied past United skippers and also former England captains John Terry and Steven Gerrard but is keen to make his own mark as he aims to improve both club and country.


"You have to do it your own way," Rooney told reporters. "You can obviously look how people have done it before you but I have to be my own person and do what I feel is the best way for me to captain the team.

"Giggsy wasn't captain here full-time in my time at United, but the things he's done have been a big help and still now. There were also leaders like Roy Keane, Gary Neville and David Beckham.

"There was Steven Gerrard and John Terry who were fantastic captains. But you can't say I want to be like him or I want to be like someone else."

March's 3-0 win over Tottenham was regarded as a turning point in United's season, having beaten rivals Liverpool and City since, with both Marouane Fellaini and Louis van Gaal revealing Rooney's impact.

The 39-year-old confirmed he spoke to the players before the game but insists any speech was off the cuff.

He added: "I didn't even write anything down for my wedding! The team spirit in the dressing room is fantastic, but there are though obviously times when you have to speak up.

"I did that before the Tottenham game because I felt I had to. We had a bad defeat in the FA Cup against Arsenal and I just wanted to reiterate what our targets were for the remaining games of the season.

"The players responded to that and we have had some good results."

No comments: