04 December 2013

SNOOKER: Ding's unbeaten run over

World number three Ding Junhui's hopes of winning a fourth consecutive ranking title came to an end with a 6-4 loss to Ricky Walden at the UK Championship.
Ding arrived in York having won the Shanghai Masters, Indian Open and the International Championship in China. Read more after the cut......

But Walden held his nerve as Ding threatened to take the match into a decider before missing a vital pink.
Ding was trying to become the first player since Stephen Hendry in 1990 to win four ranking titles in a row.
Walden looked to have blown a chance when he missed a yellow in the 10th frame but was let off the hook when Ding missed a regulation pink, and left it over the middle pocket for Walden to clinch victory.
"I couldn't believe it," Walden told BBC Sport. "I thought we were definitely in for a decider and luckily for me I got my chance.
"It was a tough game. He's flying at the moment, scoring so heavy and he's the man to beat, so when you do get your chance and you feel like you've blown it, there's nothing worse.
"I didn't play my best but I stuck in there."
In the other matches, Stuart Bingham beat David Morris 6-1 to set up a quarter-final against O'Sullivan or Robert Milkins, and defending champion Mark Selby beat Graeme Dott 6-2 to earn a meeting with Barry Hawkins.

No comments: