14 March 2014

Uli Hoeness Accepts Jail Terms & Resigns As Bayern Munich`s President

Uli Hoeness has stepped down as Bayern Munich president and revealed he will not appeal his three-and-a-half year prison sentence for tax fraud.

After being initially charged with evading €3.5 million in taxes, the World Cup winner eventually acknowledged hiding €27.2m from the German government and was sentenced on Thursday.

Although his defence team claimed the 62-year-old would appeal, Hoeness has insisted he will accept the conviction and immediately relinquished his responsibilities as Bavarian chief ahead of his incarceration.


"After discussions with my family, I have decided to accept the judgement of the District Court of Munich regarding my tax conviction," he said in a personal statement released on Bayern's website on Friday.

"I have instructed my lawyers not to appeal. This corresponds to my understanding of decency, attitude and personal responsibility.

"Tax evasion was a mistake in my life. The consequences of this error I must implement myself.

"In addition, I place with immediate effect the duties of president of Bayern Munich in the hands of the supervisory board of the club. I want to avoid causing harm for my club.

"Bayern Munich's my life's work and it will always be there. I'm going to stay connected with this great club and its people in any other way, as long as I live, however.

"To my personal friends and supporters of Bayern Munich, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your support."

No comments: