09 April 2014

Heroic Demba Ba Blasts Jose Mourinho

Demba Ba has taken a veiled swipe at manager Jose Mourinho by insisting Chelsea can count on "three great strikers" this season.

The former Newcastle forward came off the bench to score a decisive 87th-minute goal at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday evening as the Blues booked their place in the Champions League semi-finals at the expense of Paris Saint-Germain.

Mourinho has grown steadily bolder in the public condemnation of his strikers and last month Goal reported Chelsea have taken the first steps towards signing Atletico Madrid star Diego Costa this summer.


But after he had steered his club into the last four of Europe's elite club competition, Ba reiterated that he, Samuel Eto'o and Fernando Torres would all be in demand if they left Stamford Bridge.

“I’m not out for revenge,” he told reporters. “Maybe he [Mourinho] doesn’t have strikers to his liking, but I know that we have three great strikers and I think that a lot of clubs would like to have them.

There was no small irony in the fact that Ba, a boyhood PSG fan, scored the goal which knocked the Ligue 1 champions out and the former Newcastle man added: “I’m happy, I’m happy to have liberated us. I haven’t been given my chance much this season and I’ve taken it.

“It’s the first time I’ve wished PSG to lose and it’s me who scores the goal, luckily for Chelsea.

“I’m happy for Chelsea but it’s hard to see them lose, especially with one of my best friends, Yohan Cabaye, on the other side.

“Eden Hazard kept telling me all day, ‘It’s your time tonight, it’s your time tonight.’ I was a bit scared for the Parisians because after the third goal in Paris everyone thought PSG were in the semi-final.

“Even my younger brothers kept telling me this, and then when Eden went off the PSG fans already thought they were in the semi-finals. When Eden came off we heard them singing ‘We’re in the semi-finals’.”

No comments: