11 June 2014

JOSE MOURINHO: My Wife Stopped Me From Becoming England's Manager

Portuguese manager Jose Mourinho revealed that he was close to becoming England's national team manager after leaving Chelsea in 2002. The offer was ultimately rejected due to the influence of his wife.

"I was close to taking over the English team, but my wife convinced me that I would be making a mistake. And she was rigth. I could not have waited two years to be in a big competition and face rivals like San Marino and Kazhakstan."

According to Mourinho, the problem would be the lack of constant contact with the players, something he is used to with clubs.


"What would I do during the week? Go to the training of the respective teams and ask for permission to be with them? I need to work day to day, be part of the progress," explained Mourinho, who at the time could not join another English team due to an agreement with Chelsea.

Mourinho also said that the English players wanted him to take over the national team. "I had all the reasons to agree to the contract, for the prestige of the job and the incentive of being with Lampard, Terry and Cole. They told me to accept, that players from other clubs also wanted me on the national team," he said.

After his first term with Chelsea, Mourinho ended up going to Italy with Inter Milan. He returned to the English club last season.

No comments: