05 August 2015

Messi Is Like Stefano, Pele & Maradona - Fabio Capello

Fabio Capello says Lionel Messi has defined an era and believes the Barcelona ace is on a par with Alfredo Di Stefano, Pele and Diego Maradona.

The Italian got his first glimpse of the Argentine back in August 2005 when he took his then Juventus side to Camp Nou for the Joan Gamper Trophy.

Capello was so taken with Messi's talent that he tried to sign him on the spot, so convinced was he that the diminutive forward was destined for greatness.


"Twenty-five minutes into the game, I approached [then-Barca boss] Frank Rijkaard about taking Messi to Juve," the ex-AC Milan coach told El Mundo Deportivo.

"I knew about some bureaucratic problems [at Barca] and I thought that he might not start the season in Barcelona.

"So, then it occurred to me to take him to Turin. But Frank told me that in three or four months everything would be all settled, and that Leo could play with Barca.

"But I remember when I saw his name in the line-up and then, he blew my mind.

"I could not believe that a player of his age could play like that, before 90,000 spectators, undeterred by [being marked] by someone like [Federico] Balzaretti.

"His personality, quality, dribbling, fantasy - he took the ball and went straight for goal with an unusual audacity.

"The likes of [Franco] Baresi or [Paolo] Maldini, they were players who already knew they would reach the 'top' because of the great talent they had.

"From there, much depends on the head of the player. But I noticed something different from what I had seen so far. With what he showed in that game against Juve, I no doubt that Messi would reach the top.

"You can talk about the best player in history, because football has had several different times and each player has excelled above the rest.

"First, it was Di Stefano, Pele, then later Maradona, and now Messi."

Messi inspired Barca to a treble last season but he was ably supported by Neymar and Luis Suarez.

Capello believes the Blaugrana will not have things all their own way in 2015-16, but says their strikeforce is capable of firing them to more silverware.

"I like Barca's coach a lot," the ex-England manager added. "Luis Enrique has offered great football: great passing but also speed.

"This season will be a bit more difficult, but the key will again be Messi, Neymar and Suarez.

"If all three return with the same team spirit and sense of sacrifice, they can continue to do great things."

No comments: