04 September 2014

Arsene Wenger Still Has Faith In Me - Lukas Podolski

Lukas Podolski is adamant that Arsene Wenger has faith in him despite reports linking him with a move away from Arsenal. Podolski was a target for the likes of Juventus as well as Wolfsburg and Bayer Leverkusen in his native Germany, after Wenger sanctioned the sale of the forward, but no deal materialised and he subsequently remained at the Emirates following the close of the transfer window.

Olivier Giroud's fractured tibia – which will sideline him for around four months – may mean Podolski, still searching for full fitness after Germany's World Cup win, sees more game time at Arsenal, despite their deadline-day signing of Danny Welbeck.


And the 29-year-old is confident of playing a key role for Arsenal after a lengthy chat with Wenger.

"I had a very good conversation with the manager," Podolski told Bild.

"He has stressed he is putting trust in me and my qualities. I do not have to fear anyone at Arsenal. I am just back in training for two-and-a-half weeks.

"If I am at 100 per cent fitness I do not fear any competition for places in the first eleven."

Podolski also revealed that he had no offers to leave Arsenal in the transfer window, despite a number of enquiries.

"A move away from Arsenal did not fall through because I had no offers to move," he added.

"There have been enquiries from other countries, also from Bundesliga clubs, but I am from Cologne and it would have been tough for me to represent any other German club."

No comments: