29 September 2014

Wayne Rooney Sorry Over West Ham Red Card

Manchester United captain Wayne Rooney has apologised for getting sent off in Saturday's 2-1 win over West Ham at Old Trafford. Rooney was shown a straight red card on the hour mark by referee Lee Mason for kicking out at Stewart Downing on the halfway line.

And although the England skipper admits it was a fair decision, he insists the foul was merely a misjudgement rather than malicious. Speaking to United's official site, Rooney said: "It was probably the right decision. I saw the West Ham player making a counter-attack and I tried to break up the play, but I just misjudged it.


"I didn't absolutely volley the lad. I tried to trip him up and, to be fair to him, he got further away from me and that's why my leg is straighter than it should have been.

"As he pushed the ball away, my leg straightened out and that is obviously why the referee deemed it as a red card."

Rooney also went on to confirm that he apologised to his team-mates for his dismissal and was relieved to see United hold out and claim a valuable three points.

"Of course I did [apologise]. I think everyone knew [I was in the wrong]," he added.

"It’s always tough against 11 men when you are a man down, especially when they are throwing a lot of balls into the box as West Ham were doing, so I am grateful that we held out."

Rooney also confirmed he will not be appealing the ban and will subsequently miss the club's next three matches against Everton, West Brom and Chelsea.

No comments: