05 May 2014

Messi Is Not An Ordinary Human Being Says Dele Adeleye

Former Flying Eagles star, Dele Adeleye broke into the Super Eagles ranks after distinguishing himself with the Nigerian youth teams (U-20 and U-23). The former Shooting Stars defender regrets not playing any part at South Africa 2010 as he recalls his experiences at the Mundial...

DISCOVERY FOR THE MUNDIAL
I joined the Super Eagles after proving myself with the national youth teams.
My first-team home debut was really emotional because all my friends and family were there in Abuja, where we defeated Kenya 3-0.

At the beginning of my career, it was fairly easy to deal with all the pressure from the youth team. One enjoyed playing and just tried to do his best.


It gets difficult when you're  established and you have to keep performing at the same level week in, week out, which was in the U-23 team and there we finished runner-up to Argentina for a second time having lost to them at the FIFA U-20 World Cup in Holland.

MEMORABLE MOMENT
There are lots of memories I had with the national team but defeating Kenya 3-2 in Kasarani, to qualify for the 2010 World Cup was an unforgettable moment for me with the national team.

Obafemi Martins was unstoppable in the encounter and the team showed why we deserved to be one the 32 teams to the tournament.

SADDEST MOMENTS
I think that would be during the qualifiers against Tunisia when we drew 2-2 in Abuja. But I'm happy we made it to South Africa after hopes of qualifying became dicey.

Also, I think I not kicking a ball in South Africa could be another but I can equally say that I achieved great things with my football career being selected for the Mundial in the first place.
So it's safe to say I didn't have any sad moments. All other experiences have been wonderful, both in human and professional terms.

I have potential and I'm able to express it on the pitch, which is the most important thing.
Another sad moment was the Beijing Olympic Games final where everything was going well until the goal.

We were looking pretty good up to that point and we played really well in the first half that day, the best we’d played all tournament after the win against Belgium in the semi-final.

It’s impossible to explain what happened when we conceded the goal and we paid dearly for it.
Looking back, there were a lot of positive points along the way and one or two negative things, but the only thing people remember is that we didn't repeat the feat of the real Dream Team.

On a personal level, I just try and focus on the positive side and keep on improving. You need to look the facts in the face, though: we had a chance to be Olympic champions and we didn’t take it.

I’ve tried to learn the lessons from that setback and return stronger, although being at the World Cup in South Africa is something I’ll never forget.

UNJUST EPISODES
I never had any though for me to be blamed for the 2-2 draw against Tunisia in Abuja was unjust but that made me stronger in the team.

MOST DIFFICULT OPPONENT
Lionel Messi was an opponent like an exam which you could hardly pass. It's not that you're a bad student but that I think he's not an ordinary human being.

He got the better of us at the U-20 level but when we met again at the U-23, we were more matured and exposed unlike the greenhorns we were in Holland.

I wished I faced him in South Africa 2010 for a third time, maybe we would have won.
Onyekachi Apam and I made sure he was quiet throughout the Olympic final but it was unfortunate we lost to that Di Maria goal.

UNFORGETTABLE MATCH
Against Tunisia in Rades where I was adjudged the man of the match. We went out for a draw and we got it.

Prior to the game we were not given any chance at all from our past meetings with them and I was in the best form of my career.

I played every time I was called up, I won a starting place in the team and I had the chance to play in a World Cup.

It’s not over yet. I’m working hard to get my place back, though I know it’s going to be tough because there’s a lot of competition and with my performances with Ergotelis, I might get back into the Eagles again.

My dream was to play for the national team in the first place, and I’ve already achieved that, but constantly featuring for my country is still an objective that’s at the back of my head.

MATCH SUPERSTITION
Praying has always been the key to success for me and I don't think I will ever stop that.

BIGGEST LESSON
Taking chances in the team was the biggest lesson I ever learnt

WORLD CUP SACRIFICES
Not staying with my family during the summer was the major sacrifice I made.

CHANCES OF THE PRESENT TEAM
First and foremost, it's all about collective effort. Freshness and current form will be important factors as well.

If there are players who've played a little less in the weeks leading up to a World Cup, that's better – they go into the tournament a little less tired.

So the issue of some players not playing regularly shouldn't prop up at all.

Lastly, there's individual talent in the Eagles and that will unlock some dodgy teams in our group but the most important thing is to have a spirit of unity and a winning mentality.

The squad dynamic and the mentality of the players will be essential, though that's not what wins you matches, but I don't think you can get results without that either.

We will scale through the group stage in Brazil no doubt.

WORLD CUP GAINS
I got better offers at club level playing making the World Cup squad but don't ask me how much I got from those moves.

(Laughs) The memories that comes with it are enough gains for a lifetime.
LIFE AFTER SOCCER
I still have many years of football left to play so I'm not thinking about retiring now.

No comments: