24 January 2015

AUSTRALIAN OPEN: William Sisters Progress To Round Four

Top seed Serena, 33, found her form to beat Ukraine's Elina Svitolina 4-6 6-2 6-0, while Venus, 34, saw off Italy's Camila Giorgi 4-6 7-6 (7-3) 6-1. Defending champion Stan Wawrinka beat Jarkko Nieminen 6-4 6-2 6-4.

Top seed Novak Djokovic and fourth seed Petra Kvitova are in action in the night session. Meanwhile, former champion Victoria Azarenka beat Barbora Zahlavova Strycova 6-4 6-4.


Venus rolls back the years

If younger sister Serena was expected to reach the fourth round and well beyond, the presence of Venus in the last 16 is a blast from the past.

The last time she went this far at a Grand Slam was at Wimbledon four years ago, and soon after she would be diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome, keeping her out of the sport for seven months.

"I do my best every single day," said the seven-time major champion, who faces sixth seed Agnieszka Radwanska next. "That's pretty much the way it goes. I think just not being afraid is the most important thing."

She added: "I like to win titles, whether it's a smaller event or a big event. That's what I play for. So, yes, great, it's great to be in the second week. But is the fourth round my goal when I come to these tournaments? No."

No comments: