24 December 2015

Chelsea: Guus Hiddink Set To Axe Under Performing Players

GuusHiddink has sent a clear warning to Chelsea players as the new coach is set to axe any player that under performs.

New Chelsea manager Guus Hiddink has laid down the law to his players, telling them they have an obligation to succeed.

The 69-year-old was speaking ahead of Watford's visit, his first game in his second stint back at the club with ex-boss Jose Mourinho sacked last Thursday.


Mourinho was sacked despite guiding the Blues to the Premier League title last season, with the side enduring a spectacular collapse and getting sucked into the relegation fight this term.

And Hiddink has announced to his squad that he expects an immediate turnaround in form and results, demanding to see desire from his charges.

"Even if your boss is only temporary, he can kick you around," the former Netherlands coach told reporters. "I'm not going to be begging them [the players] to perform.

"They have a profound obligation to perform. They are here at a big club. They are well paid. They must have the heart full of the desire of an amateur.

"If they don't have that desire, then I will say, 'Thank you very much, goodbye'. I don't need players who don't have the desire.

"Last week they were one point off the relegation places which was frightening for everyone in the club.

"I don't know why they have not been performing. It's difficult to judge. But I don't want to know. I want to have a blank approach to them. I have to make my own decisions."

Despite his arrangement to lead the club lasting till May, with Chelsea believed to be one of the sides lined up to hire outgoing Bayern Munich boss Pep Guardiola, Hiddink is not ruling out staying beyond.

"It is a few years ago I was here in a similar situation,” he said. "I have to feel inside my heart that I have that passion to work with the guys.

"We said let’s go to May and then we’ll see what will happen. As long as I feel the desire, I will go on.

"With Chelsea, it was a quick decision. I have the experience to know when even though the job is tough, I should go for it.

"In the past, everything in this club was well organised. It's still a warm club."

No comments: