15 July 2015

Arsenal At Verge Of Something Special This Season - Mikel Arteta

Arsenal captain Mikel Arteta insists he never considered leaving the club this summer - because he believes they are on the verge of achieving something special. The 33-year-old midfielder’s original contract was due to expire this year but he has signed a 12-month deal to keep him in north London for another season.

Arteta made just seven Premier League appearances last season as he struggled with injury problems and was linked with a move away from the Emirates Stadium.

But the Spaniard, who signed from Everton in 2011, believes Arsenal are now on the verge of challenging for the title after back-to-back FA Cup triumphs - and still feels he has a significant role to play.


“It took a while for us to do a lot of things to get in the position we are in now as a group,” Arteta told Goal.

“It’s been three or four years and the rewards are coming now, so you want to be part of that as well.



“The energy here is very good, it’s positive. We can sense that something has changed in the last few seasons, so we are looking forward to getting ready and to start performing again.

“It took a while for this club to change, but I think we are moving in the right direction now. I’ve got a fresh year in front of me and I want to enjoy this moment.

“My contract situation is clear. I’m staying here one more season, that’s what I agreed with the boss and the club. We all had the same direction and thoughts so it wasn’t complicated at all.”

The emergence of Francis Coquelin means that Arteta faces even more competition to win back his place in the side next season, having finally recovered from an ankle injury he suffered in January.

Arteta admits it will be difficult to force his way back into Arsene Wenger’s starting XI but feels he has the backing of the manager.



“The manager has belief in me and he doesn’t need to use a lot of words because he has shown his belief in acts, which are more important than words,” he explained.

“He knows what I think. He knows what I thought when I was injured and how disappointed I was, and he knows what I will do to come back nice and fresh and be consistent, as I’ve always been here.

“It’s up to yourself. When I’ve been fit, I’ve always played. I just want to keep thinking like that.

“The difference now is that I’ve been injured for five or six months and it’s been a really tough time for me.

“I know that I might start from a disadvantaged position in that sense, but my ambition is still intact and I want to do my best to play because I love playing.”

No comments: