27 December 2013

LUKMAN HARUNA: Am ready for Brazil 2014 World Cup



Ukraine based Super Eagles midfielder, Haruna Lukman declares in this exclusive interview that he will give his best if given a green light by coach Stephen Keshi to fight for a shirt in the World Cup bound Super Eagles. The Super Eagles have been drawn alongside Iran, Bosnia and Argentina in group F for the 2014 World Cup; what are your thoughts on the group?

It's an easy group for us on paper but we need to perform at our very best if we want to make it out of that group. We must show our best football in every game. We are the current African champions and we must show that in our games when the World Cup starts. We will be making a big mistake if we underrate Iran and Bosnia; they are good teams just like we are. They have the same motive just like ours which is to get the 3 points against us before they face Argentina. We must take full advantage of the draw which will see us face Iran in our first game and winning that will give us the lift to qualify.


How much of threat do you think Bosnia poses to our chances of advancing to the next round?

They could prove to be a hard nut to crack but if we play them like a Cup final and win, that gets us into the second round and that could spark up a big boost finishing higher than we can ever imagine. They have quality players to get them the results but we will be ready to battle them.

You were reportedly injured and scheduled to undergo surgery in Germany but you made Dynamo Kiev's substitutes bench in the Europa League a fortnight ago against Rapid Wien; how ready are you for the second half of the season?

I'm fit and ready for the club's training camp in Marbella for the second half of the 2013/14 season. There was no need for the surgery anymore as I wasn't feeling those pains again. I just want to keep playing more games to return to the national team.

Dynamo Kiev will face Valencia in the next round of the Europa League competition, how well do you think your team will cope against this Spanish opposition?

We stand a good chance of making it to the next round but that's if we win convincingly at home in the first leg in February. We are fifth on the log and anything other than a victory will be considered a failure because we are not at the top of the league standing in Ukraine and that's where I hope we should be at the end of the season. Regarding our chances of winning the Europa League, nothing is impossible. It looks pretty difficult at the moment but football can change in a second and it down to us finding our form early in the second half of the season in March.

How would you rate your performance so far this term?

I did very well for my team and scored crucial goals which are part of football as far as I'm concerned. I have been a regular for my team this season and I hope and pray the reward for a recall back to the national team will come soon. I just want to keep playing for my team so that my rating can keep improving.

Any goals target?

None, I just want to give my best to the team and if I get the chance to score, I will take it but if not I, will make assist to whoever is in a better place to score.

2013 saw the Super Eagles win the Nations Cup in South Africa for a third time; the Golden Eaglets won the FIFA U-17 World Cup in Qatar and the Eagles qualified for the World Cup in Brazil a fifth time. What would you say was best moment so far this year?

It's difficult to pick one but the fact that the Nations Cup triumph in South Africa opened the doors of success this outgoing year, I will like to pick that and the 2014 World Cup ticket that was secured against Ethiopia.

Talking about the national team, don't you feel unhappy being left out of the squad for the past three years?

I do but there is nothing I can do but to keep working hard since reports say I still have a chance of getting back to the team. Each time I read the news that I'm not called up for games, it hurts but I want to use that as a motivation to give more on the pitch for my club and I hope I get another chance to prove some people wrong about my person. I've grown up from the past; I want to play for my country. I hope I could be given a chance to prove myself that I can perform at the level required of me. I have been following the team closely and I have been really impressed with the way they are playing. I would like to assure the coach (Keshi) that I could add more depth to his squad if I'm recalled.

But with the array of midfielders in the team at the moment, do you honestly think you could displace any of them?

Every player in the team has his own unique quality and I believe that I can show that. There are quality players in that department. I know that there are still opportunities available for those who are playing well and so I will just keep working hard till I achieve that.

Do you see yourself fitting well into the way the Eagles are playing at the moment considering the position you play for Dynamo?

I don't see any problem to be sincere. I have played from many positions in the midfield. So I will fit in well. But my main aim is to keep playing regularly for my team.

How determined are you to feature at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil?

Of course. I'm always working hard to improve my game. If there is a chance of playing in the World Cup, I'll be ready to seize that opportunity and give my best to my fatherland.

No comments: