31 December 2013

STEPHEN KESHI: No one can force Osaze on me


Head coach of the Nigeria national team, Stephen Keshi has dropped the strongest possible hint that Cardiff City striker, Peter Odemwingie will not make his final squad for the 2014 Fifa World Cup just because he’s wanted by the majority of the fans.

Odemwnigie has not played for Nigeria since February 29, 2012 when the Super Eagles were held to an underwhelming 0-0 draw against Rawanda at the Stade Régional de Nyamirambo in a 2013 Africa Nations Cup qualifying game.

The 32-year-old has since expressed his desire to return to the national team in time for the 2014 Fifa World Cup finals in Brazil.

“I was in the Nigeria squad for the last World Cup finals in South Africa and I would love the chance to go again,” Odemwingie told WalesOnline in November.


“I believe I have a chance and when it comes I would be delighted. I haven’t been selected lately because the coach is making changes to the squad and it affected all the older players so the situation wasn’t friendly.

“Playing for my country in Brazil would mean so much to me. No player will be in the squad unless they do well for their various clubs. Brazil is even more popular football-wise so it will be great if it happens,” he added.

Recently, there has been a clamour from a large section of Super Eagles’ supporters for the recall of the striker who believe his experience could be invaluable for the team’s expedition to Brazil.

Keshi has however categorically stated that he will not invite Odemwingie or any other individual based on the sentiments of the supporters.

“I will not invite Osaze (Odemwingie) or any other player just because Nigerians want that player in the team. I cannot do that,” Keshi told supersport.com.

The gaffer then reaffirmed his earlier position on the situation explaining that the former Lokomotiv Moscow attacker will have a fair crack to force his way into the team.

“Right now, I can’t say categorically that he (Odemwingie) will be a part of our final World Cup squad.

“He is one of the players we have listed (for inclusion into the preliminary squad for Brazil 2014) but I don’t know if he’s going to come back or not.

“We will see how it goes. If’s he’s playing good (for Cardiff City), we will see how it goes,” he said.

Odemwingie made his Nigeria debut in 2002 and has scored nine goals in 55 appearances for the Super Eagles.

No comments: