04 February 2015

TENNIS: Serena Set To Play At Indian Wells Tourney After 14 Years Absence

Tennis star Serena Williams announced in a column for Time.com that she will return to play in the tournament at Indian Wells, Calif., in March for the first time since 2001.

Williams wrote that an "under­current of racism" was one of the reasons she stayed away from the tournament. She also indicated many fans were "angered" after sister Venus Williams had to withdraw from a semifinal showdown with her sister in '01 because of an injury.


"The false allegations that our matches were fixed hurt, cut and ripped into us deeply," Serena wrote. "The under­current of racism was painful, confusing and unfair. In a game I loved with all my heart, at one of my most cherished tournaments, I suddenly felt unwelcome, alone and afraid."

Serena added the culture of the sport has changed more than a decade later, which is why she feels comfortable returning to Indian Wells.

"A few months ago, when Russian official Shamil Tarpischev made racist and sexist remarks about Venus and me, the WTA and USTA immediately condemned him," she said. "It reminded me how far the sport has come, and how far I've come too...

"I'm fortunate to be at a point in my career where I have nothing to prove. I'm still as driven as ever, but the ride is a little easier. I play for the love of the game. And it is with that love in mind, and a new understanding of the true meaning of forgiveness, that I will proudly return to Indian Wells in 2015...

"Indian Wells was a pivotal moment of my story, and I am a part of the tournament's story as well. Together we have a chance to write a different ­ending."

No comments: