13 September 2015

Kelechi Iheanacho Is “important” - Manuel Pellegrini

Manchester City manager, Manuel Pellegrini has described his Nigerian charge, Kelechi Iheanacho as “important” after the forward netted the winner in the Citizen’s 1-0 success over Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park on Saturday.

Pellegrini however believes the 18-year-old still needs to improve certain aspects of his game as he continues his professional football education.

"Kelechi is a very important striker and just 18 years of age. He has a lot to improve,” Pellegrini told ITV after the game.


Iheanacho had only been on the pitch for a few seconds after replacing Wilfried Bony when he turned home a Samir Nasri shot parried onto his path by the Palace goalkeeper, Alex McCarthy.

The youngster spoke about his happiness after the game.

“It (the goal) means so much to me. I'm happy and very grateful and I thank the manager for introducing me.

“The fans went crazy when I scored. We are all happy,” he said.

“Palace is a great team - they have done well to be second in the Premier League table (as at when the match was 0-0).

“I will try to do my best in training and in games if I'm introduced. I'm hoping to do great for the team.

“It's not easy. We have great players here but I have to keep working hard.

“We are much stronger this season with quality players. We are going to go all the way,” he said.

Iheanacho has made just two appearances for Manchester City (both from the bench) in the Premier League, this season.

No comments: