27 January 2014

MUST READ: Juan Mata Writes Open Letter To Chelsea Fans

Juan Mata has written an open letter to fans explaining the reasons for leaving Chelsea for Manchester United. The Spanish playmaker became the most expensive player in the Red Devils’ history when he joined for £37m on Saturday evening.

Following his official unveiling at United’s Carrington training complex, Mata issued an open letter to the Chelsea fans thanking them for their support. In it he blamed the “complicated situations” he was forced to endure at Stamford Bridge.

“As you can imagine this is a very important day in my life, and with these lines I would like to express the memories and emotions that come to me as I write,” Mata explained.


“This letter is written from my heart, and first of all I would like to say that I will never forget all the affection given to me by the Chelsea fans. From the very first day until the last.

“With your support and affection I have grown up as a player and I have had an amazing time both on and off the pitch. I will always feel the gratitude towards you. Always. No words are enough to give back all the things I have received.

“I won’t forget the faith you put in me when I was given the player of the year award the last two seasons. I feel really proud and I will never forget those nights. Thank you so much for the way you have treated me, you have been unbelievable. I hope you understand that after going through a complicated and, for me, new situation in the last few months, I believe this is the best choice in order to carry on with my football career and to keep enjoying playing this sport.

There has been plenty of good moments: the FA Cup, my first trophy as a Blue; the immense happiness of winning titles for the first time in the club’s history, such as that magical Champions League night in Munich and the Europa League…

“Before last summer, my intention was to stay here for a long time; as long as the club wanted me to, and to keep winning trophies for Chelsea FC. This is how happy I was in the club and in the city. However, as you all know, things changed after the pre-season. From feeling like an important player, I started to experience some difficult situations and I felt unable to help the team to the extent that I wanted and was used to. Obviously, I fully respect the circumstances.

“On the other hand, I have experienced some complicated situations from a personal point of view, mainly during the last six months. Every message I got through the social media, every nice word you have said to me on the street, and of course, your support in the stadium, has made me feel incredibly proud of the Chelsea fans; you deserve a team like the one you’ve got, with so many fantastic players.

“Although many of you, like myself, never thought this moment would come, this is football and a new chapter is about to begin. I would have liked to say goodbye to all of you in the stadium, or in a press conference, but it has not been possible. I’m sure, I will be able to do it in the future, because is what you deserve.

“Evidently, today is a day of mixed feelings, remembering the past and looking forward to the future and what it has to bring. I look forward to being happy and to enjoy what I like the most: play football. I will never forget my time in Chelsea and the affection I take with me, I will keep forever. I wish you the best. A big hug to all of you.

“THANK YOU so much, Juan.”

No comments: