31 January 2014

COMPLETE SPORTS: John Utaka Wants World Cup Shirt

Nigeria International, John Utaka in this interview with Johnny Edward says he hopes to be back in Eagles for the 2014 FIFA World Cup

Firstly, let me start by thanking you for finding time to chat with Complete Sports…

You are welcome.

Everything seemed to be going so well for you in France yet you ditched Montpellier for Sivasspor in the Turkish league. What happened?


I had a very good time in Montpellier. I was at the end of my two and half season contract with them when Sivasspor approached me. It was like a new challenge and I decided to join them.

You currently wear no. 99 on your jersey. Is there any reason why you chose this number?

I usually wear number 7 then when I arrived at the club, I have to pick among the few numbers available and that was 99, a new number for a new challenge!

You’ve played 12 games and scored 2 goals this season for Sivasspor. What are the chances of your team making it to the Europa League at the end of the season?

We are doing well this season and I believe we have a very big chance of playing European competition next year.

Your team is coached by the legendary Roberto Carlos. What do you think of him? His personality and his football philosophy?

For me, as you said he is simply Legendary. He has a very good personality and is doing a great job as a coach as well. His football philosophy is to have that winning attitude at all times.

Let’s talk a bit about your personal life. You broke thousands of hearts in Nigeria when married a beautiful Caucasian woman last year. What do you have to say to all those Nigerian girls who would have loved to be Mrs. John Utaka?

No comment.

You have the John Utaka Foundation, what is it about?p

The John Utaka Foundation is about helping less privileged children in Africa. We did collaborations with some orphanages in Nigeria and continue the work. You can find more information on the website www.thejohnutakafoundation.net

We hear that you’re dabbling into acting and that you featured in a Nollywood movie called “Battered”. Are you going to take up acting when you retire? Or will you become a coach?

Yes, for sure I like creativity so why not do something in acting or fashion. Football is also a big part in my life and I could also become a coach. Let say I leave doors open but for now my focus is on my football career.

 Back to football, the Super Eagles are grouped alongside Iran, Bosnia Herzegovina and old foes Argentina at the FIFA World Cup in Brazil. What do you think of our chances in that group and at the tournament?

Am sure we will make it through the group stages and will surely go far at the World Cup.

Are you hoping to make it into Stephen Keshi’s World Cup squad or have you retired from international football?

In football, everything is possible; I hope to be back to the team because it’s always great to represent your country. At the end, it’s all down to the manager to make his choice.

You’ve played for 9 different clubs in 6 countries on 3 continents. Have you ever been racially abused? And how do you think racism in football can be stopped?

I’ve never been racially abused. Of course am aware that it happens to other athletes. We should just continue to promote the value of our sport which is effort, respect and work as a team.

Finally, what message do you have for your fans back here in Nigeria?

I thank all my fans for their support, may God continue to bless them.

4 comments:

Rio said...

Utaka you are welcom back to super Eagles of Nigeria

Johnson Crak said...

Even if he wish, i don't think Keshi can invite him to the team anylonger

Nelson said...

A player like John Utaka will definitely get a shirt, if he really still wants to perform in Eagle. I will like them to him a trier

Anonymous said...

Utaka..................................