17 June 2014

WORLD CUP: We Were Complacent Against Netherlands Says Vicente del Bosque

Vicente del Bosque has admitted Spain may have been complacent heading into their 5-1 demolition at the hands of Netherlands.

The World Cup holders threw away a lead to lose their first game of the tournament meaning defeat to Chile at the Maracana on Wednesday would see them eliminated from the group stage.

Del Bosque is expected to make changes to his starting line-up and has admitted his players may have approached the Netherlands clash with the wrong attitude.


"Complacency may have been an issue in our first game," said Del Bosque in his pre-match press conference on Tuesday.

"I think we have to realise we lost a very important match and accept the criticism. There have been many criticisms and I agree with them. I don’t want to defend our performance in the last match."

The coach has already revealed he knows the starting team he will select against Chile and has called on his players to show their character on Wednesday.

He added: "The reality is we have it in our hands, no-one else’s, and that's what we have to look at. People show what they are made of when times are tough.

"I know my line-up, but I'm not going to tell you. I want a strong squad right up to the start of the game. Knowing the line-up might upset the mood of the players."

No comments: