25 July 2015

Kelechi Iheanacho Unsure Of City's First Team Chance


Kelechi Iheanacho is still unsure of playing with the Manchester City first team in the 2015/16 season despite his blistering start in the club’s pre-season campaign. Iheanacho was City’s most impressive performer in the Citizens’ opening day International Champions Cup victory over AS Roma in Melbourne, Australia.

The 18-year-old scored a super goal as well as providing an assist right out of the top drawer for new signing, Raheem Sterling as the Italians were put to the sword.

Despite his undeniable potential, Iheanacho is still not sure if he will be thrown into the deep end in the new season.


“The manager (Manuel Pellegrini) has promised me nothing.

“He’s just told me to keep working hard every day. So as yet I don’t know what my chance is, but I pray that it will come soon,” Iheanacho told Manchester Evening News.

Despite impressing against Roma, the Nigerian youngster got just 13 minutes against the most glamorous football club in the world - Real Madrid - in City’s second game of the tournament on Friday.

By the time Iheanacho came off the bench to replace Frenchman, Samir Nasri, Manchester City were already losing 1-4, and the scoreline stayed that way till the end.

Now is the time

Many Nigerians continue to scratch their heads, perplexed, at the little playing time given to Iheanacho by Nigeria’s Under-20 coach, Manu Garba at the 2015 Fifa Under-20 World Cup in New Zealand.

Iheanacho however appears to have firmly put the disappointment of the past month behind him and has his sights trained on a potential big season in his fledgling career.

“This season I hope to be here (in the City first team). I’ve been training hard with them during pre-season and I hope this is the time for me to break into the first team.

“Last season, everything was okay - it was just about getting a work permit but everything is sorted out now,” he added.

He concluded by discussing his joy at playing alongside former Liverpool pin-up boy, Raheem Sterling.

“It was a very good pass that I gave him for the goal (against Roma on Tuesday).

“When you are such an intelligent player like he is, it’s easy for us to play alongside him.

“He’s a very good player. He’s intelligent, skilful, strong as a player. It was something I enjoyed, playing alongside him.

“He’s a little bit older than me. I’m a young player still trying to make it so I hope I can learn some things from him. I’m still learning from him and other players so I will just keep working hard,” he said.

Pellegrini gives the seal of approval

Exactly a year, Pellegrini gave Iheanacho a chance in pre-season and the former Golden Eaglets forward took it with aplomb prompting the Chilean manager to describe him as “the future of Manchester City.”

The manager was impressed yet again by the display of his young Nigerian charge and Elite Development Squad (EDS) teammate, Manu Garcia on Tuesday and was effusive in his words of praise after the win over AS Roma.

“The big positive for me in this game (against Roma) was to see young players Kelechi Iheanacho and Manu Garcia – both of them just teenagers – have really good performances,” he said.

It is looking increasingly likely that this might just be the season when Iheanacho makes a big splash on the big stage with City’s superstars.

No comments: