30 July 2015

Fans Of Rival Clubs Will Love To Have Me - John Terry

Chelsea defender John Terry insists fans of rival clubs would "love" to have him in their team, and says that while he uses criticism to his advantage he does not want to be hated when the time comes to retire.

At 34 years old Terry was one of the most important members of Chelsea's Premier League-winning squad last season, playing every minute as he secured his fourth top-flight title of an illustrious career.

But he has often courted controversy and in 2012 was found guilty by the Football Association of racially abusing then Queens Park Rangers defender Anton Ferdinand, which landed him a four-match ban and ended his international career with England.


And while Terry acknowledges the hostile reception he gets around the world, he says fans would appreciate his commitment if he were playing in their colours.

"I'm sure that if I was in their team they would love me in their team because I am one of those players who gives everything to the cause," he said while appearing on the Men In Blazers podcast.

"Unfortunately the stick comes with it but I am very much used to that now. I do get a lot of stick, not only in the UK but everywhere we go really.

"But I thrive on that and try and use it in a positive way but I certainly don't try and block it out.

"I use it to my advantage because nine times out of 10 if I can stay focused and keep the team focused we are going to come out as winners.

"And when you walk off the pitch having done your job and having done it the right way and go off with three points there is not much more to say."

But while he has become accustomed to the jeers and whistles, the defender wants to be remembered for his footballing achievements when he eventually hangs up his boots.

"You hope that when you hang up your boots, you don't want to be hated," he added, "you just want to be thought of as a very good footballer and someone who gave everything for their club."

No comments: