29 July 2015

My Season At Chelsea Wasn't A Failure - Filipe Luis

The Brazilian has returned to Spain after just one season in the Premier League but he is adamant he was right to move last summer

Filipe Luis insists his spell with Chelsea in the Premier League should not be considered a disappointment.

The Brazil international left Vicente Calderon for Stamford Bridge 12 months ago, despite having lifted the Liga title with Atletico Madrid, but made just 26 appearances in all competitions under Jose Mourinho.


However, having won both the Premier League and League Cup during his one season in England before rejoining Diego Simeone's side, the 29-year-old says he does not regret the move.

"I'm very happy to be back here after a year," he said to reporters. "It was a very nice experience at Chelsea and I won the Premier League.

"Many people think it went badly, but for me it was the opposite. It was a great season, I learned a lot, I played games in a different league."

Filipe Luis is also determined to win back the affection of Atletico fans despite having briefly turned his back on the club.

"This is my home and my best years have been here. I never disconnected from Atletico, I never stopped watching games," he continued.

"When I left to try a new experience, I knew from day one it would be difficult as I left a family here. That's the concept we have in the dressing room. I felt like I never left.

"My team-mates have been spectacular. I have never lost touch with them, I watched some Atletico matches last season and they watched some of mine.

"With regards to the fans, whenever I've played in the Atletico shirt I have given all that I can, I think I will win the fans [back] on the field and not with words.

"You should always perform at your best regardless of the time you wear the shirt. I hope to perform at my best."

The former Deportivo defender is excited to return to action in Spain's top flight in 2015-16, although he admits the English game enjoys a better infrastructure.

"The Premier League is organised better, the stadiums are full, the games are more attractive because there are almost no fouls and no stoppages in the game," he added.

No comments: