26 August 2015

I Would Become A Coach - Javier Mascherano

It's a long dream but its highly achieveable. The Argentine international wants to take after the likes of Maradona, Guardiola & Enrique and his certainly hoping to coach Barca & Argentina some day.

Barcelona ace Javier Mascherano has revealed that he wants to become a coach when he calls time on his playing career.

The 31-year-old is in his fifth year at the Catalan club, moving to Camp Nou from Liverpool in 2010 after also representing West Ham, Corinthians and River Plate.


And the versatile player has stated that he is drawn by the challenge of passing on what he has learned throughout his career to younger players and has no intention of leaving football once he hangs up his boots.

"I would become a coach," the Argentina vice-captain told Radio Metro. "As a player, things are easier, but it gets more complicated when you go on the other side.

"I want to pass on everything my coaches taught me. In football, things go full circle."

Mascherano, who began his career as a defensive midfielder, has adapted to play at the centre of defence after being first deployed there by former Blaugrana coach Pep Guardiola.

It was a necessary move in order to get playing time according to the San Lorenzo native, who admitted knowing he was unlikely to displace Sergio Busquets in the centre of the park.

"At that time, many central defenders were injured and Sergio Busquets had emerged in midfield," he continued. "Guardiola noticed my characteristics and physique and liked what he saw when he put me in defence.

"I came to Barcelona knowing I was signed as a backup and it would be very difficult to hold down a place in midfield. Obviously I would have fought for my place but one of the best in the world was playing in my position.

"Meanwhile with Argentina I was made captain and had to win my place on two fronts. Over time though, I've managed to earn my place."

No comments: