17 September 2015

Nigeria: Odion Ighalo Hoping For Super Eagles Recall

Odion Ighalo scored regularly for Watford as they won promotion back to the Premier League and it it was no surprise when former Nigeria U20 skipper was called up by then Super Eagles coach Stephen Keshi for the 2017 AFCON qualifier against Chad in Kaduna. He started the match on the bench.

"I have always considered it one of the greatest honours to represent Nigeria especially up to the senior level so I was excited to have been involved in that match against Chad". How modest. You changed the course of the match though. "Well as I sat on the bench I was seeing the loopholes in their team that I thought I could exploit if I got called upon. So when I went on I was able to provide the assist for (Gbolahan) Salami then won the penalty".

Not only did Ighalo win the penalty he was brave enough to collect the ball to take it himself. That was a bit bold for a debutant. "There was only Salami on the pitch amongst those the coach had designated as penalty takers but he had already scored a goal. In life and in football we have to be bold and take risks. My mind was focused that I will score and I did".



Nigeria won that qualifier 2 nil but in between that and the next qualifier the NFF seemingly lost patience with Keshi and replaced him with former captain Sunday Oliseh. By the time the new coach released his list for the next matches Ighalo's name was missing. As it is in Nigeria where there are more coaches than footballers there was an uproar. Ighalo stated his case rather eloquently when he scored on his Premier League debut with a beautifully taken goal at Everton.

How did he take his omission. "Sunday Oliseh was one of those I loved to watch when he captained Nigeria. He is now my boss. He is in charge of the super eagles. I believe I am still part of the team but he can't call everyone at the same time. All I have to do is work hard and keep believing God and when the time is right I will get my chance again". Surely you were disappointed?


"Yes but only because I love playing for my country not disappointed in the decision. I was praying for the team as they played Tanzania. I want to play at the African Cup of Nations and am always ready to help us to get there". Having played at Camp Nou, the Bernebeu, Mestalla and those other big grounds in Spain. With Anfield, Emirates and Old Trafford to come here in England the AFCON and World Cup participations are what he would like to add to his resume

Ighalo represented Nigeria at many levels so he has strong views on playing for Nigeria "only those who have become internationals can understand the feelings you get when the national anthems start to play before matches. For Nigeria where we are over 100m people and I am chosen to play it means I have no choice but to play on behalf of my family and my friends so that Nigeria gets the victory".

Ighalo grew up in the Ajegunle area of Lagos but hails from Ekpoma in Edo state "I know where my roots are so I have never been arrogant of confused enough to forget it". Did you play "Nations Cup" (one of the most famous amateur tournament in Lagos, Nigeria)? "Yes I did o. At the Navy ground. Of course" he says with a big smile. As long as Odion Jude Ighalo continues his good form and stays fit he will be back in the Super Eagles sooner rather than later.

No comments: