28 November 2015

NBA: Jalil Okafor Admits Being "Dumb" After Street Fight

Nigerian-American Igbo blooded basketball player, Jalil Okafor has expressed his disappointment at himself after he was caught fighting a fan on the street. He has apologised and expects that the case won't get to the court of law.

Philadelphia 76ers big man Jahlil Okafor spoke to reporters on Friday for the first time since he was allegedly involved in a street fight late Wednesday. While there are no plans for a criminal investigation on the incident, he said he was ashamed of the way he handled himself.


From the Philadelphia Daily News' Bob Cooney:

“My thoughts on it are that it was definitely dumb on my part,” said Okafor. “It's something that I'm embarrassed about. We're still dealing with the team and the league, but I'm not happy about it at all. We're still going through the whole process of what we're going to do.

“(I was) just leaving and trying to go, and people were making fun of us 'cause we've been losing. I did the dumb thing and I reacted.”

“It doesn't happen often that people come at me and heckle me for losing,” Okafor said. “It's something that I know I'm in the spotlight and I know that there are people like that that just want to anger you. I'll never handle it like that again.”

Okafor will play on Friday against the Houston Rockets, according to Keith Pompey of the Philadelphia Inquirer. Sixers head coach Brett Brown said that he's not sure if the league will punish Okafor, but that the team will handle his discipline internally, via Bob Cooney of the Philadelphia Daily News.

Brown added that the team is still in the "fact-gathering process," and Okafor "came to me immediately" to address the situation, via CSN Philly's Molly French.

No comments: