27 April 2014

TENNIS: Maria Sharapova Wins Stuttgart Title

Maria Sharapova fought back from a set down to claim the WTA Stuttgart title for a third year in succession at Ana Ivanovic’s expense.

Ivanovic tore through her opponent’s serve as she reeled off the opening five games en route to taking the first set, but Sharapova responded to take the second before coasting home in the decider to earn a 3-6 6-4 6-1 victory in just over two hours. It was the Russian's 30th WTA title.

"For the first half of the match I thought it might not be my day today, but somehow I turned it around," said Sharapova.


"I had quite a slow beginning to the year, but me and my team have been working hard to get in the position to win titles again, and I'm so happy to be able to do it in Stuttgart."

Ivanovic added: "She's just a great player, and that's what happens when you play against great players in big matches like this. You need to use your opportunities. But there's always next time."

No comments: